In 2019, First Tee of West Michigan lost one of it’s long-time supporters, Phil DeBoer. Mr. DeBoer was an avid golf fan and made contributions of both time and money to our program. Upon his passing, he asked that donations be made to First Tee of West Michigan and established a scholarship for our students who have graduated from both high school and our program — to be used to assist in their pursuit of higher education.
The amount of the scholarship will vary annually, but will be in the range of $500-$1500, depending on the number of scholarship winners eligible and selected by our scholarship committee. First Tee of West Michigan students become eligible to submit an application in the Fall of their Senior year of High School. Prior First Tee of West Michigan students, who take an active role in Coaching while in college, are also eligible to submit an application once annually until the completion of their Junior year of college.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be a graduate of First Tee of West Michigan
- Must be attending, or planning to attend, an accredited College or University in the State of Michigan in upcoming Fall semester
- Must obtain a written recommendation from the First Tee Coach that most inspired you, other than Tyler or Taylor.
- Completion of an online essay form – 250 to 500 words
- Application submissions and coach recommendations – Deadline is 5/31
- Winner(s) will be notified on or before 6/30
- Winner(s) and parent(s) are announced, and recommended to attend, our annual Golf Outing luncheon on last Monday in July